Monday 16 April 2012

mob mentality

"We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them." - Dr. Seuss

The other day 2 guys rode past me on recumbent bicycles and it got me thinking, are they kidding? Who buys a bike like that? Why do you buy a bike like that? It also got me wondering where you get a bike like that and if I get one do I automatically get to hang out with these 2 guys? Do they have to like me because I have one? Do I get to be a part of there group?






To me group dynamics are an amazing thing. I have always found it hard to find my place within groups. I spent 15 years within a group and was never quite sure where I fitted in but knew I was part of it. I always put it down to the group dynamics changing and me needing to change with them but I was always aware of how I felt about my position within the group. Group dynamics always change over time people come and go that is how it is, but you always perform at your best when you know where you fit, why you fit. At the same time complacency or acceptance of you position within a group can also lead to poor performance.


I find joining groups very daunting, and it is not something I do on a whim. But how long do you spend circling, deciding if you want to try to infiltrate a group and what if you get it wrong, can you make a clean get away? Then there is the "individuals" why do they join groups? Are they really individuals? Can an individual really be part of the group? Are the leaders of the group really part of the group? There is so much going on in groups yet we all want to be part of them.


We will all be a part of many groups in our lives, and in the most part will be thankful for the benefits that they provide.  I know that I would like to join a couple of more groups, I don't think I will be rushing out to get a recumbent bike, but being around like minded people is definitely good for you. I guess all I really need to do to get involved is remind myself that this group is full of people doing something that I to would like to do. They must be good people then.


p.s. I just noticed there is a lot of ? in this post so if you have any answers do not be afraid to leave them in the comments.
Come on join the group.

No comments:

Post a Comment